Just as all footwear isn’t designed to withstand the wear and tear of the outdoors, not all swimwear will fit the bill for an active outdoor lifestyle. We like our string bikinis and baggy board shorts just fine, but when it comes to tearing it up on a surfboard or competing in swim heats, we need a suit that can keep up with us and not just become food for marine life. Today we’ve rounded up our top picks for active swimwear that won’t leave you high and dry this summer when you finally get the guts to try your hand at waterskiing.
1. Men’s Solid Splice Jammers – Whether you’re ripping it up at the beach or doing your best Lochte impression at the local swimming pool, these jammers offer great coverage without adding any drag, so you can beat the heat in more ways than one! Available at Adidas.com, $48.
2. Sweetheart Crossback – This one-piece swimsuit lets you have your wake and surf it too. Both fully functional and flattering for almost every body type, this suit offers support and slimming features so you can perform and look your best while enjoying your favorite water sports. Available at Speedousa.com, $89.
3. Men’s Striped Surf Runner Volley – From surf to turf, these shorts offer protection from the harsh elements and their quick-dry fabric helps transition from one sport to another seamlessly. Available at Speedousa.com, $36.
4. Zoot Performance Tri Racesuit – This one-piece racesuit is no joke, offering maximum performance and low-profile features for the true champions of summer. Ideal for swim heats, this suit is comfortable enough to make a splash at the beach during more extreme sports like Jet Skiing or waterskiing. Available at REI.com, $120.
5. Men’s Team Check Jammer Swimsuit – These jammers from swim authority TYR offer full coverage and compression for maximum aerodynamics when gliding through the water or tearing through waves. This competitive swimsuit is ultra durable and lightweight so you can swim your fastest without resistance from your suit. Available at TYR.com, $39.99.
6. Reversible Aliam Top – Keep your pack light and your options simple with this two-in-one bikini top. This supportive, made-to-move swim top is reversible, making it ideal for longer trips or times when packing multiple suits isn’t an option. This active suit looks great on land and out on the water, making it one of our best finds for the summer. Available at Patagonia.com, $55